Blackbean and Quinoa Burgers
1 can of black beans
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp smoked paprika
50g cooked quinoa
Plain flour (I used wholemeal)
1 tbsp flaxseed or chia seed (milled) + 2 tbsp hot water
Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve in a burger bun with your choice of salad or condiments
- Add mushrooms to the burger mixture for a more ‘meaty’ texture
- Top with vegan cheese
- Serve with sweet potato chips or wedges
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Mix the flaxseed or chia seeds with 2 tbsp of hot water in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the black beans, garlic powder, onion powder, chilli flakes, smoked paprika and a generous pinch of salt and pepper to a food processor and blend. If you don’t have a food processor, you can mash them with a potato masher.
- Add the quinoa and flax or chia seed mix and blend (or mash and mix) again.
- Form the mixture into 3 burgers, adding a little plain flour if the mixture is too sticky.
- Fry the patties for a few minutes on each side in a bit of oil until they are browned.