Steak and Ale Pie
1 pack of Jus Rol puff or short crust pastry
1 large onion (chopped)
3 garlic cloves (crushed)
5 chestnut mushrooms (roughly chopped)
150g vegan ‘steak’ (sliced); or 1 pack Fry’s Thick Cut Strips
5 tbsp vegan gravy granules
1 bottle (500ml) vegan ale
Salt and pepper
10g fresh parsley
- Serve with mashed potato and peas.
- Serve with a baked potato and vegetables.
- Serve with chips.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and parsley and gently fry for 3-4 minutes until browned. Add the steak, mushrooms, salt and pepper and stir for a couple of minutes until browned.
- Pour in the ale and bring to a simmer then add the gravy granules. Continue to simmer on a low heat for 4-5 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked and the liquid thickened. If you want a thicker filling, just add more gravy granules.
- While the filling is simmering roll out the pastry and using your pie dish to cut out the base and the top. Press the pastry into the dish and spoon in (not too much) the ‘steak’ filling.
- Add the top and using a fork press around the edge to seal. Fork a few holes in the top to help release the steam. Brush with a little plant milk to create a shiny glaze. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes (a bit longer of making one big pie) until the pastry is golden brown.