200g Arborio rice
750ml boiled water
1 veg stock cube
1 chopped glove of garlic. Add more if you love your garlic.
½ chopped red onion
Generous pinch of Sea or Himalayan salt
Ground black pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 cup of mixed frozen veg.
¾ cup of vegan chicken (such as vBites, Oumph!, Quorn Vegan Pieces, or a supermarket own-brand)
5 tbsp soya/oat/coconut cream
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
40g grated vegan cheese
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large pan on a medium heat and add the garlic and onion. Fry for a few minutes until slightly brown and softened.
- Add the uncooked rice and fry for a further few minutes. This will toast the rice and create a rich flavour.
- Fill a jug with 750ml boiled water and stir in the stock cube to dissolve. Now pour into the pan and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the salt, paprika, pepper, frozen veg and ‘chicken’. Turn up the heat a little and simmer for 5 minutes stirring every few minutes. The liquid will be absorbed into the rice and the risotto starts to thicken.
- Pour in the cream and grate in the cheese. Stir and simmer on a low heat for another 5 minutes (total simmer time is 20-25 minutes).
- Serve immediately while hot and enjoy!