Brussel Sprout and Bacon Gratin
450g Brussels sprouts (trimmed and halved)
250ml soya cream (you could use oat or coconut)
1 chopped garlic clove
1 small red onion finely chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
Pinch of salt
Black pepper to season
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
20g grated cheese (plus extra to go on top)
2 rashers of vegan bacon
- Place the sprouts in a saucepan and cover with just boiled water. Simmer for 5 minutes then drain and leave to one side.
- In a large frying pan on a medium heat add 1 tbsp of oil and stir in the onions. Fry gently for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the garlic and bacon and stir. You want to give the bacon a slight crisp to add to the end flavour and texture.
- Pour in the cream and add nutritional yeast, paprika, pepper and salt. Turn up the heat and stir until it simmers. Simmer for 3-4 minutes then add the cheese. A quick stir and it’s time for the sprouts.
- Cover the sprouts in the sauce then pour into an oven dish.
- Top with a little more of the cheese then bake for 15 minutes. You want the dish to be bubbling and the cheese melted.
- Great served as a side dish with a roast dinner.