- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 celery sticks
- 1 red chilli with seeds
- 2x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 1/2 cup of vegan red wine
- 1.5 tbsps sugar
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roughly chop the onions, celery, garlic and chilli.
- Heat up some oil in a pan and add the chilli and onions. Cook until the onions become translucent.
- Add the celery, garlic and seasoning (sage, salt and pepper) with a little water and cook for a few minutes until the celery softens.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, followed by the lentils and the wine and mix thoroughly
- Cook for about 20 minutes on medium heat adding extra water or seasoning if necessary.
- Remove from the heat add some fresh torn basil and plate up topped with chilli flakes and maybe some vegan cheese.
Recipe courtesey of Rebecca Bellingham of Vegan Scran.