For the filling
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves – peeled and crushed
- 2 onions – peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots – peeled and diced
- 2 celery sticks – sliced
- 1 courgette – diced
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 225g red lentils
- 1 tbsp yeast extract
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (or 1½ tbsp if dried)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the crumble
- 75g breadcrumbs
- 50g plain flour
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped nuts
- 75g vegetable margarine
- Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan. Gently fry the onion, garlic and remaining vegetables for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, vegetable stock and yeast extract. (If using dried herbs, they need to be added at this stage).
- Simmer the ingredients for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, and the lentils are cooked.
- Add the fresh herbs, if using, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas mark 6.
- Place the vegetable mixture into a greased oven-proof dish.
- Melt the margarine in a separate saucepan or in a bowl in the microwave.
- Stir in the remaining crumble ingredients and mix well.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the vegetable mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes.